Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Traditions




Well, if you know me then you know I am really big on traditions. I guess that comes from being a part of a family that was big on traditions. It makes you feel like you are a part of something and the memories of the year before can be brought back again because we are doing the same things that we hold dear. Well, this year things are a little different for us. We are an ocean away from family and the things that we are used to on Thanksgiving. We had Thanksgiving dinner with just us, Jon, and I and our three children. It was really nice. Although I did all of the cooking and it took all morning, I felt accomplished when we sat down to a wonderful meal and my husband says, "this is the best Thanksgiving meal I have ever had". That means so much to me. The kids and I made a Thankful Tree. We gathered real leaves and then made ones that we could write what we were thankful on. This is a new tradition and one that we will be doing again next year! I found a website that showed what pilgrims and Indians would have looked like and lived in and ate. The kids had fun with that. I hope that all of you had a wonderful day and enjoyed old traditions and started new ones.

1 comment:

Empty Nester said...

I like traditions too, but find many are hard to hold on to now that our life is so different! We have picked up traditions from other cultures we have spent time with and maybe you can adapt some Slovene traditions to your American ones!